Chepstow / UK. (bsa) 2012 is the 250th Anniversary of the Sandwich and to mark the occasion, the British Sandwich Association (BSA) is launching a national campaign to promote sandwiches – and it is designed to directly support sandwich businesses. Starting in January with the announcement of the anniversary, the campaign will build through the year. Some features of the campaign:
- A special logo has been produced and registered to mark the Anniversary which will feature in a major publicity and promotion campaign throughout the year. The logo can be reproduced on pack and on point-of-sale material in-store to highlight the anniversary and any promotions you may be doing.
- The Association is also launching a new consumer website in January – lovesarnies.com – which will feature member outlets and any special promotions they are running. These will also be promoted through the BSA marketing campaign.
- From March the Association will be launching a «Sandwich of the Month» campaign supported by a massive PR programme designed to highlight the featured sandwich. This will include a substantial social media campaign each month using Facebook and Twitter to encourage consumers to try the «Sandwich of the Month». Recipes for the feature sandwiches will be distributed to retailers and manufacturers taking part well in advance so that they can include them in their ranges and take full advantage of the press campaign behind each sandwich.
- Point-of-sale material to support each featured sandwich will also be provided in advance and distributed to retailers and manufacturers taking part. They can either print this off to use in shops or use the artwork to create their own bespoke material.
- A monthly national competition is being launched from February which consumers can enter to win a number of prizes over the year. Each month there will be a major consumer prize to be won which will be presented via winner´s nominated shop and at the end of the year a major prize of a holiday in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) will be presented to one lucky winner. Point-of-sale material will be provided to support this competition, including simple entry details.
- Plus, those bakeries featuring the competition in store or on-pack will have the option of running their own bespoke competitions within the overall competition.
- Also in March, the Association will be launching a new on-line consumer magazine to promote the campaign as well as to generally promote sandwiches. Also featured will be details of activities by members.
In addition to this activity, the Association is also planning a major national event in May designed to grab headlines. There are also discussions about creating a TV programme about the history of the sandwich. Market research is also being planned to create a better understanding of the dynamics of the sandwich market.