Amsterdam / NL. (cb) The Netherland’s Corbion reported sales of EUR 213.0 million in the first quarter of 2018, a decrease of 7.4 percent due to currency effects. Organic sales growth was 2.5 percent, due to a strong increase in Biochemicals and Innovation Platforms. Ebitda excluding one-off items decreased by 19.2 percent to EUR 38.6 million due to currency effects and higher input costs.
«The start of the year saw a continued positive momentum with organic sales growth recovery in Ingredient Solutions, that has returned to the 2-4 percent target range. As anticipated, a weaker US Dollar and negative raw material price effects have put pressure on our Ingredient Solutions Ebitda, nevertheless we were able to maintain a healthy margin in this business segment. We are experiencing improving market dynamics in bioplastic PLA, which is encouraging for the future development of our PLA joint venture plant, which is scheduled to open later this year», commented Tjerk de Ruiter, CEO.
Key financial highlights first quarter of 2018
- Net sales organic growth was 2.5 percent; volume growth was 2.3 percent
- Ebitda before one-off items was EUR 38.6 million, an organic decrease of 1.4 percent
- Ebitda margin before one-off items was 18.1 percent (21.0 percent for Ingredient Solutions)
- Positive one-off item of EUR 0.7 million related to a land sale in Italy
- Operating result was EUR 30.0 million, an organic decrease of 9.0 percent
|EUR in million||YTD 2018||YTD 2017||Total growth||Organic growth|
|Ebitda excluding one-off items||38.6||47.8||-19.2%||-1.4%|
|Ebitda margin excluding one-off items||18.1%||20.8%|