Mexico City / MX. (gb) Grupo Bimbo S.A.B. de C.V. laid the first stone of its new Metropolitan Distribution Center located in the Azcapotzalco District of Mexico City. The purpose of this center is to increase the logistics capacity of the company and to enhance productivity and efficiency in distribution.
The first stone ceremony was attended by the Mayor of Mexico City, Dr. Miguel Angel Mancera; the Secretary of Economic Development, Salomón Chertorivski, and the Azcapotzalco District Head, Dr. Pablo Moctezuma, as well as by Daniel Servitje, Chairman and CEO of Grupo Bimbo; Javier González Franco, Senior Executive Vice-President of Grupo Bimbo, and Miguel Angel Espinoza, President of Bimbo Mexico. Also attending were the Secretary General of the National Executive Committee of the National Union of Workers of the Flour, Baking and Food Industries, Transport and Commerce and Related Activities of Mexico, Gerardo Cortés García, and the Federal Representative of the 8th District, Dr. Vidal Llerenas.
With a 2.3 billion MXN investment (approximately 108.23 million EUR on 2017-09-04), the Metropolitan Distribution Center of Grupo Bimbo will include state of the art inventory control and automation technology to supply sales centers and routes serving more than 200 thousand customers, taking its products to the families living in this megalopolis in a more efficient and sustainable manner.
In this manner, Grupo Bimbo will operate the largest and most modern Distribution Center of the baking industry in the Americas, thus confirming its dedication to constant innovation.
«Grupo Bimbo pledges its commitment to the country and to Mexico City. This is where the company was born more than 70 years ago and grew to become a leading company in the world», stated Daniel Servitje, Chairman and CEO of Grupo Bimbo. He added: «We believe in the great potential of Mexico City and we invite the private sector to add to the efforts for a more competitive, more prosperous and stronger Mexico».
The Mexico City Mayor, Dr. Miguel Ángel Mancera, in turn, highlighted the commitment of Grupo Bimbo to sustainability, investment and job creation in Mexico City. With a surface area of 89 thousand square meters, the new Metropolitan Distribution Center shall have the following sustainability features:
- 30 percent of this area will be green areas managed by Reforestamos México A.C., planting more than 1,000 trees.
- Use of electricity from the Piedra Larga Wind Farm for the exclusive use of Grupo Bimbo.
- An annual decrease of 3.4 million kilometers travelled, equal to a reduction of 269 tons of CO2
- As this project will include the latest generation technology on environmental matters, it is expected to obtain the LEED Gold certification.
- Low consumption and reuse of water with a rain water catchment system.
- The operation intends to mitigate noise through a green belt and acoustic barrier. Furthermore, it intends to maintain the natural light in the environment.
- Zero waste to landfill areas.
The building stages lasting 18 months will generate more than 500 jobs. Once in operation, this Distribution Center will directly create 350 job positions and 1700 indirect jobs. The Metropolitan Distribution Center will contribute to the local community through Grupo Bimbo’s Good Neighbour Program.