Chicago / IL. (mdc) McDonald’s Corporation announced results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2021. «Our performance is a continued demonstration of the broad-based strength and resiliency of our business as global comp sales in the second quarter increased nearly 7 percent over 2019. For 65 years, we’ve created iconic experiences for billions of people around the world. Along the way, we’ve always focused on following our customers’ needs, finding the most convenient and engaging ways for them to enjoy McDonald’s. It’s clear that our next chapter will be driven by our leadership in digital,» said McDonald’s President and Chief Executive Officer Chris Kempczinski. «As we build on our momentum and embed our digital capabilities through the customer experience, I’m thrilled that Manu Steijaert will be taking on the newly created role of Chief Customer Officer. His team will deliver the seamless omnichannel experience that our customers want and McDonald’s can provide.»
Second quarter financial performance
- Global comparable sales increased 40.5 percent (6.9 percent on a 2-year basis), reflecting positive comparable sales across all segments:
- U.S. increased 25.9 percent (14.9 percent on a 2-year basis)
- International Operated Markets segment increased 75.1 percent (2.6 percent on a 2-year basis)
- International Developmental Licensed Markets segment increased 32.3 percent (0.3 percent on a 2-year basis)
- Consolidated revenues increased 57 percent (49 percent in constant currencies) to USD 5,888 million.
- Systemwide sales increased 48 percent (42 percent in constant currencies) to USD 28,281 million.
- Consolidated operating income increased USD 1,730 million and included USD 98 million of strategic gains primarily related to the sale of McDonald’s Japan stock.
- Diluted earnings per share for the quarter was USD 2.95, or USD 2.37 excluding USD 0.48 per share of income tax benefits as a result of a change in the U.K. statutory income tax rate and USD 0.10 per share of strategic gains.
For additional information please refer to the company’s news release (PDF | 119 KB):20210729-MCDONALDS-Q2-2021