Chicago / IL. (mdc) McDonald’s Corporation announced results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2021. «Our third quarter results are a testament to our unparalleled scale and agility,» said McDonald’s President and Chief Executive Officer, Chris Kempczinski. «Our global comparable sales increased 10 percent over 2019, which was delivered across an omnichannel experience that is focused on meeting the needs of our customers. We continue to execute our strategic growth plan and run great restaurants so that we can drive long-term, sustainable growth for all of our stakeholders.»
Third quarter financial performance
- Global comparable sales increased 12.7 percent (10.2 percent on a 2-year basis), reflecting positive comparable sales across all segments:
- U.S. increased 9.6 percent (14.6 percent on a 2-year basis)
- International Operated Markets segment increased 13.9 percent (8.9 percent on a 2-year basis)
- International Developmental Licensed Markets segment increased 16.7 percent (4.9 percent on a 2-year basis)
- Consolidated revenues increased 14 percent (13 percent in constant currencies) to USD 6,201 million.
- Systemwide sales increased 16 percent (14 percent in constant currencies) to USD 29,948 million.
- Consolidated operating income increased 18 percent (17 percent in constant currencies) to USD 2,987 million and included USD 106 million of strategic gains related to the sale of McDonald’s Japan stock.
- Diluted earnings per share was USD 2.86. Excluding strategic gains of USD 0.10 per share in 2021 and USD 0.13 per share in 2020, diluted earnings per share for the quarter was USD 2.76, an increase of 24 percent (23 percent in constant currencies).
- The Company declared a 7 percent increase in its quarterly cash dividend to USD 1.38 per share and also announced the resumption of its share repurchase program.
For additional information please refer to the company’s news release (PDF | 154 KB):20211029-MCDONALDS-Q3-2021